Despite being together for 10 years, married for five, two children, 2 houses and a dog we have never really celebrated Valentine’s Day. Not by my choice, I never really think too much about societal norms until I am forced to and in this case I was. I just put it down to an excuse BUT his reason for not celebrating was commercialisation, and that he should love me 365 days a year, not just 1. He said perhaps when we’ve been together longer than he was single he’d reconsider. So I had just kind of accepted Valentine’s Day is not a thing for us…….. or until I hit 40 at least.
Anywho, 10 years is a long time, we’ve been through different seasons, dating, honeymoon, marriage, many diets, kids, house, investment properties, financial hardship, we have experienced terrible loss of close friends and family, redundancy and many failed ventures. But each year, each challenge, we seem to grow closer and closer, each day I seem to love him more as I watch him grow into such an inspirational man, husband and father. Each year I notice a little gesture around Valentine’s day that shows he is thinking of me…..
And this year…..
I got a fat burning cheesecake!
We made it together. My love language is quality time, despite me having my head down bum up in our business most of the time. So quality baking time made it extra special.
So why is it fat burning?
- To start with the ingredients are low insulin. In 1965 the primary hormone responsible for fat metabolism was discovered. Insulin. That’s right, fat metabolism is not determined by how many calories or how much exercise but what those calories communicate through their chemical messengers – hormones. Namely Insulin.
- The ingredients are high fat. Dietary fat increases the hormone leptin which is your satiety hormone. Eating fat makes you feel full and therefore eat less. An increase in leptin also is synonymous with an increase in metabolism, so more fat burning.
- Fat Burning Cheesecake makes you happy. Your mood actually determines what fuel your body uses. Anger, fear, stress, guilt, is glucose burning not fat. Happiness, calm, relaxed, acceptance on the other hand is fat burning. Win, Win, Win!
Anyway enough about the science and me, here is your fat burning cheesecake recipe, enjoy!
- 1 1/2 cups of ground almonds (activated preferred)
- 1 Tbsp of erythritol
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of himalayan salt
- 50g grass fed butter (room temperature)
- 1 free range egg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 500g cream cheese
- 4 Tbsp. sour cream
- 50g. grass fed butter
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp of Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/3 cup erythritol
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 1 cup thickened cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract for the cream
Chocolate sauce – either cacao, vanilla extract, erythritol and coconut oil or 90% lindt dark chocolate and coconut oil
Blueberries for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees celsius. Grease a pie pan with butter.
- Combine ground almonds, baking powder, salt and erythritol in a bowl.
- Add butter to dry ingredients until it forms a crumb like texture.
- Add egg and vanilla extract and stir until a dough forms.
- Transfer the dough to the pie pan and spread the dough to evenly cover the bottom and sides of the pan. Wetting your hands with cold water can help prevent the dough from sticking to your fingers. Using a fork, poke holes in the bottom and sides of crust to prevent cracking and bubbles as it bakes.
- Place crust in the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool before filling.
- To prepare the filling, place cream cheese, sour cream, butter, vanilla extract, erythritol, lemon and cacao in a bowl.
- Using a mixer on low speed, blend ingredients, increase to high speed until fluffy.
- Place the cream and vanilla extract in a separate small bowl. Using clean mixer beaters, whip the cream on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture.
- Scoop the filling into the crust and smooth the top with a spoon. Refrigerate your cheesecake for at least 2 hours before serving with fresh blueberries and chocolate sauce.
- For the sauce melt down 90% lindt dark chocolate and coconut oil 1:1 or melt enough coconut oil for the amount of sauce you need, add 1tsp -1TBS of cacao, 1tsp of vanilla and erythritol to taste, drizzel over as desired.
If you haven’t already make sure you grab our 7 day fat burning meal plan. It’s low insulin, high fat, satisfying, indulgent, family friendly and quick and easy! You can have your copy emailed to you HERE.