Now I have to admit, I haven’t had a glass of milk, regardless of its source for a long time now so this healthy alternative may or may not be for you if you take your milk in a long tall glass. I do however use milk in baking, in tea and as an alternative source of milk for my kids. I either don’t notice the difference or I prefer the flavour. So if you suffer from acne, eczema, asthma, sinus trouble, an autoimmune disease or are just looking to improve your all-round health I would strongly suggest a 6 week dairy free trial to see the benefits in your life and what better transition than to have some creamy almond milk in your fridge.
Ingredients (makes about 500ml)
- 1 cup raw organic almonds soaked for 24hrs
- 2 cups of filtered water
- If you have the patience you can blanch the almonds by removing the skin, this makes for a creamier milk.
- Drain and rinse the soaked almonds.
- Add both the almonds and water to the blender and blend on high for a minute or two. You will notice the water go white with fine specks of almonds.
- Line a strainer with a fine muslin or cheese cloth and place over a large measuring glass.
- Pour the almond water mix into the lined strainer and allow the milk to seep through leaving the almond meal or pulp behind.
- Feel free to squeeze the cloth to get as much milk as you can out of the pulp.
- Store in a glass jar and shake before us.
If you like sweeter milk, add a soaked date to the blender with the almonds and water.